View publications under the "Works" tab.
Would you like to support my program to foster research on woody plant health with a tax-deductible charitable donation? > Give to Ohio State
My primary research interest is in the ecological role of tree pathogens. A specific aspect being investigated is the chemical ecology of tree/fungal pathogen/insect interactions, with particular attention to effects of fungal pathogens on systemic induced resistance (SIR) against pathogens and insects, and cross-induction effects between fungal pathogens and insects mediated by the host tree.
A second focus of my research is on the relationships between soil fertility, carbon allocation, resource partitioning, and mycorrhizal community structure, and between growth and defense against both pathogens and insects.
A third area of interest is the ecological role and intimate relationships with the host of invasive organisms, particularly Phytophthora ramorum (causal agent of sudden oak death) and the emerald ash borer (a destructive wood boring insect pest).
Besides my role as a faculty in Plant Pathology, I am a member of the interdisciplinary graduate program in Environmental Science (esgp.osu.edu)
PLNTPTH 5110 Ecology and Management of Pathogens and Insects Affecting Tress in Forest and Urban Environments (3 cr)
- 2010-present Ohio State University, Professor in the Department of Plant Pathology
- 2005-2010 Ohio State University, Associate Professor in the Department of Plant Pathology
- 2000-2005 Ohio State University, Assistant Professor in the Department of Plant Pathology
- 1997-2000 University of California, Davis, Post-doc, Host/Pathogen/Insect Interactions
- 1994-1996 University of California, Berkeley, Post-doc, Host/Pathogen/Insect Interactions; Mycorrhizal Ecology
- 1991-1992 GSF - Forschungszentrum fr Umwelt und Gesundheit, Munich, Germany, Post-doc, Air Pollution and Disease Resistance in Scots pine
- 1991 University of Oxford, U.K., D.Phil., Resistance Mechanisms in Primary Roots of Scots Pine
- 1987 University of Padova, Italy, M.Sc., Forestry/Forest Pathology