Villari C, Dowkiw A, Enderle R, Ghasemkhani M, Kirisits T, Kjaer E, Marčiulynienė D, McKinney L, Metzler B, Muñoz F, Rostgaard Nielsen L, Pliūra A, Stener L-G, Suchockas V, Rodriguez-Saona L, Bonello P, Cleary M (2018). Advanced spectroscopy-based phenotyping offers a potential solution to the ash dieback epidemic. Nature Scientific Reports 8:17448 – DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-35770-0.
Pepori AL, Michelozzi M, Santini A, Cencetti G, Bonello P, Gonthier P, Sebastiani F, Luchi N (2018). Comparative transcriptional and metabolic responses of Pinus pinea to a native and a non-native Heterobasidion species. Tree Physiology 39: 31-44. Issue cover.
Showalter DN, Raffa KF, Sniezko RA, Herms DA, Liebhold AM, Smith JA, Bonello P (2018). Strategic development of tree resistance against forest pathogen and insect invasions in defense-free space. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution – Conservation 6 – DOI: 10.3389/fevo.2018.00124.
Rigsby CM, Villari C, Peterson DL, Herms DA, Bonello P, Cipollini D (2018). Girdling increases survival and growth of emerald ash borer larvae on Manchurian ash. Agricultural and Forest Entomology – DOI: 10.1111/afe.12292.
Fayyaz A, Bonello P, Tufail MR, Amrao L, Habib A, Talib Sahi ST (2018). First report of citrus withertip (tip dieback
), a disease complex caused by Colletotrichum siamense and Lasiodiplodia iraniensis on Citrus reticulata cv. Kinnow in Punjab, Pakistan. Plant Disease DOI: 10.1094/PDIS-04-18-0576-PDN.Munck IA, Bonello P (2018). Modern approaches for early detection of forest pathogens are sorely needed in the United States. Forest Pathology – DOI: 10.1111/efp.12445.
Showalter DN, Villari C, Herms DA, Bonello P (2018). Drought stress increased survival and development of emerald ash borer larvae on coevolved Manchurian ash and implicates phloem-based traits in resistance. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 20: 170-179.Mason, CJ; Villari, C; Keefover-Ring, K; Jagemann, S; Zhu, J; Bonello, P; Raffa, KF. 2017. Spatial and temporal components of induced plant responses in the context of herbivore life history and impact on host. Functional Ecology 2`:2034-2050
- Conrad, AO; Rodriguez-Saona, LE; McPherson, BA (McPherson, Brice A.; Wood, DL; Bonello, P. 2017. Frontiers in Plant Science Vol. 8.
- Raffa, KF; Mason, CJ; Bonello, P; Cook, S; Erbilgin, N; Keefover-Ring, K; Klutsch, JG ; Villari, C; Townsend, PA. 2017. Defence syndromes in lodgepole - whitebark pine ecosystems relate to degree of historical exposure to mountain pine beetles. Plant Cell and Environment 40: 1791-1806
- Klutsch, JG; Najar, A; Sherwood, P; Bonello, P; Erbilgin, N. 2017. A Native Parasitic Plant Systemically Induces Resistance in Jack Pine to a Fungal Symbiont of Invasive Mountain Pine Beetle. J of Chem Ecology 43: 506-218.
- Casas, MI; Vaughan, MJ; Bonello, P; Gardener, BM; Grotewold, E; Alonso, AP. 2017. Identification of biochemical features of defective Coffea arabica L. beans. 95:59-67.
- Erbilgin, N; Cale, JA; Lusebrink, I; Najar, A; Klutsch, JG; Sherwood, P; Bonello, P; Evenden, ML. 2017. Water-deficit and fungal infection can differentially affect the production of different classes of defense compounds in two host pines of mountain pine beetle. Tree Physiology 37: 338-350.
- Conrad, Anna O. and Bonello, Pierluigi. 2016. Application of Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy for the Identification of Disease Resistant Trees. FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE Volume: 6 Article Number: 1152 DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2015.01152
- Chakraborty S, Whitehead SR, Powell J, Bonello P, Bowers MD, and Cipollini D "The search for novel weapons and their association with herbivore resistance in native and non-native Lonicera species" Journal of Chemical Ecology (2015) 41: 1069 - 1079
- Rigsby CM, Showalter DN, Herms DA, Koch JL, Bonello P, Cipollini DF "Physiological responses of emerald ash borer larvae to feeding on different ash species reveals putative resistance mechanisms and insect counter-adaptations" Journal of Insect Physiology (2015) 78: 47 - 54.
- Chakraborty S, Whitehill JG, Hill AL, Opiyo SO, Cipollini D, Herms DA, Bonello P. 2014. Effects of Water Availability on Emerald Ash Borer Larval Performance and Phloem Phenolics of Manchurian and Black ash. Plant, Cell and Environment 37:1009–1021
- Conrad AO, Rodriguez-Saona LE, McPherson BA, Wood DL, Bonello P. 2014. Identification of Quercus agrifolia (coast live oak) resistant to the invasive pathogen Phytophthora ramorum in native stands using Fourier-Transform Infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy. Frontiers in Plant Science – Technical Advances in Plant Science 5: doi: 10.3389/fpls.2014.00521-
- McPherson, B. A., Mori, S. R., Opiyo, S. O., Conrad, A. O., Wood, D. L., Bonello, P. 2014. Association between resistance to an introduced invasive pathogen and phenolic compounds that may serve as biomarkers in native oaks. Forest Ecology and Management 312:154-160
- McPherson BA, Mori SR, Opiyo SO, Conrad AO, Wood DL, Bonello P. Native oaks exhibit biomarker-associated resistance to an introduced invasive pathogen. 2014. Forest Ecology and Management 312: 154-160
- Najar A, Landhäusser SM, Whitehill JGA, Bonello P, Erbilgin N. 2014. Reserves accumulated in non-photosynthetic organs during the previous growing season drive plant defenses and growth in aspen in the subsequent growing season. Journal of Chemical Ecology 40: 21-30
- Soltis NE, Gomez S, Leisk GG, Sherwood P, Preisser EL, Bonello P, Orians CM. 2014. Failure under stress: the effect of the exotic herbivore Adelges tsugae on biomechanics of Tsuga canadensis. Annals of Botany 113: 721-730
- Villari C, Faccoli M, Battisti A, Bonello P, Marini L. 2014. Testing trade-offs in the chemical defence strategy of Scots pine under field conditions. Tree Physiology 34: 919-930
- Whitehill JGA, Rigsby C, Cipollini D, Herms DA, Bonello P. Decreased emergence of emerald ash borer from ash (Fraxinus spp.) treated with methyl jasmonate is associated with induction of general defense traits and the toxic phenolic compound verbascoside. 2014. Oecologia 176: 1047-1059
- Sherwood P. and Bonello P. 2013. Austrian pine phenolics are likely contributors to systemic induced resistance by Diplodia pinea. Tree Physiology 33: 845-854
- McPherson, Brice A.; Erbilgin, Nadir; Bonello, Pierluigi; Wood, David L. 2013. Fungal species assemblages associated with Phytophthora ramorum-infected coast live oaks following bark and ambrosia beetle colonization in northern California. Forest Ecology and Management 291: 30-42
- Hill, A.L, Whitehill, JGA, Opiyo, SO, Phelan, PL, and Bonello, P. 2012. Nutritional attributes of Ash (Fraxinus Spp.) outer bark and phloem and their relationships to resistance against the Emarald Ash borer. Tree Physiology 32 (12): 1522-1532
- Kleczewski Nathan M.; Herms Daniel A.; Bonello Pierluigi. 2012. Nutrient and water availability alter belowground patterns of biomass allocation, carbon partitioning, and ectomycorrhizal abundance in Betula nigra. TREES-STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION 26(2): 525-533.
- Rivera-Vega L., Mamidala P., Bonello P., Herms D.A., Mittapalli O. 2012. Evaluation of reference genes for gene expression studies in ash (Fraxinus spp.). Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 30: 242-245.
- Villari,Caterina; Battisti,Andrea; Chakraborty,Sourav; Michelozzi,Marco; Bonello,Pierluigi; Faccoli,Massimo. 2012 Nutritional and pathogenic fungi associated with the pine engraver beetle trigger comparable defenses in Scots pine. Tree Physiology 32: 867-879.
- Whitehill JG, Opiyo SO, Koch JL, Herms DA, Cipollini DF, Bonello P. 2012. Interspecific Comparison of Constitutive Ash Phloem Phenolic Chemistry Reveals Compounds Unique to Manchurian Ash, a Species Resistant to Emerald Ash Borer JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ECOLOGY 38(5):499-511.
- Bai, X., Rivera-Vega, L., Mamidala, P., Bonello, P., Herms, D.A., Mittapalli, O. 2011. Transcriptomic signatures of ash (Fraxinus spp.) phloem. PLOS One. Vol. 6, no. 1. (January): e16368-e16368.
- Chen Y., Whitehill J.G.A., Bonello P. and Poland T.M. 2011. Differential response in foliar chemistry of three ash species to emerald ash borer adult feeding. Journal of Chemical Ecology. Vol. 37, no. 1. (January): 29-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10886-010-9892-1.
- Chen Y., Whitehill J.G.A., Bonello P. and Poland T.M. 2011. Feeding by emerald ash borer larvae induces systemic changes in black ash foliar chemistry. Phytochemistry 72:1990-1998.
- Chorbadjian R.A., Bonello P., Herms D.A. 2011. Effect of the growth regulator paclobutrazol and fertilization on Austrian pine and paper birch defensive chemistry and herbivore resistance. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry. (Accepted)
- Cipollini D., Wang Q., Whitehill J.G.A., Powell J.R., Bonello P. and Herms D.A. 2011. Distinguishing defensive characteristics in the phloem of ash species resistant and susceptible to emerald ash borer. Journal of Chemical Ecology 37: 450-459.
- Kleczewski N.M., Herms D.A. and Bonello P. 2011. Soil resource availability, carbon allocation and partitioning among root phytochemicals and ectomycorrhizae: Relationships to tree seedling predisposition to drought. Trees - Structure and Function. (Accepted)
- Muilenburg V.L., Phelan P.L., Bonello P. and Herms D.A. 2011. Inter- and intra-specific variation in stem phloem phenolics of paper birch(Betula papyrifera) and European white birch (Betula pendula). Journal of Chemical Ecology. (Accepted)
- Nagle A.M., McPherson B.A., Garbelotto M., Wood D.L. and Bonello P. 2011. Relationship between resistance to Phytophthora ramorum and constitutive phenolic chemistry in coast live oak. Forest Pathology. DOI: 10.1111/j.1439-0329.2010.00703.x
- Rajarapu S.P., Mamidala P., Herms D.A., Bonello P. and Mittapalli O. 2011. Antioxidant genes of the emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis): Gene characterization and expression profiles. Journal of Insect Physiology 57(6):819-24.
- Rivera-Vega L., Mamidala P., Bonello P., Herms D.A., Mittapalli O. 2011. Evaluation of reference genes for gene expression studies in ash (Fraxinus spp.). Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. (Accepted)
- Wallis C., Eyles A., Chorbadjian R.A., Riedl K., Schwartz S., Hansen R., Cipollini D., Herms D.A., Bonello P. 2011. Differential effects of nutrient availability on the secondary metabolism of Austrian pine (Pinus nigra) phloem and resistance to Diplodia pinea. Forest Pathology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0329.2009.00636.x. (IF: 1.225)
- Whitehill J.G.A., Popova-Butler A., Green-Church K.B., Koch J.L., Herms D.A. and Bonello P. 2011. Interspecific proteomic comparisons reveal ash phloem genes potentially involved in constitutive resistance to the emerald ash borer. PLoS One. Vol. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0024863.
- Kleczewski, Nathan M., Daniel A. Herms and Pierluigi Bonello. 2010. Effects of soil type, fertilization and drought on carbon allocation to root growth and partitioning between secondary metabolism and ectomycorrhizae of Betula papyrifera. Tree Physiology 30:807-817.
- Bonello, P. 2010. Potential of induced resistance as a tool for the management of pathogens and insects in trees. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 40:S15-S24.
- Eyles A, Bonello P, Ganley R, Mohammed C. 2010. Induced resistance to pests and pathogens in trees. New Phytologist 185:893-908. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03127.x (IF: 5.178)
- Wallis C, Eyles A, Chorbadjian RA, Riedl K, Schwartz S, Hansen R, Cipollini D, Herms DA, Bonello P. 2010. Differential effects of nutrient availability on the secondary metabolism of Austrian pine (Pinus nigra) phloem and resistance to Diplodia pinea. Forest Pathology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0329.2009.00636.x (IF: 1.225)
- Cipollini, D.F., E.K. Barto, P. Bonello, and D.A. Herms. Comparative defense protein activities in the phloem of Manchurian ash (Fraxinus mandshurica) and two North American ash species (F. americana and F. pennsylvanica). Journal of Chemical Ecology 33:1430-1448.