I am committed to leading an engaging teaching and outreach program in plant pathology and related disciplines. My responsibilities include teaching and academic programs (Graduate and Undergraduate), including graduate admissions, graduate and undergraduate recruiting, academic data reporting; summer internship coordinator; internal and external communications; education outreach; website content. I'm the grad program coordinator for the Plant Pathology MS/PhD program and the Master in Plant Health Management. I am also an undergraduate advisor.
My areas of interest include science, agriculture, education, outreach and communications. I am the incoming Director of the American Phytopathological Society's Office of Education.
Teaching and Outreach
- Department of Plant Pathology - Assistant Professor, Clinical Professional Practice (2016 - present)
- Department of Plant Pathology - Academic Program Coordinator (2007 - 2016)
- Ohio Bioproducts Innovation Center - Grant writing, data reporting and communications (2006-2007)
- University of Florida, IFAS Citrus Research and Education Center, Lake Alfred, Florida - Public relations and communications coordinator (1998-2005)
- Plant Space Biology, Kennedy Space Center - National Research Council Associate (1994-1997) and Dynamac Corp scientist (1998)
Honors and Awards
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, Teaching Award of Merit (2020)
- CFAES Learning Outcomes Award of Distinction (as part of the MPHM Academic Program) - 2019 - MPHM Graduate Program (pdf)
- CFAES Learning Outcomes Award of Distinction (as part of the Plant Pathology Academic Program) - 2017 - Plant Pathology Graduate Program (pfd)
- Outstanding Service to Students award, CFAES - 2017
- Star Supporter to Students, CFAES Student Council - 2016
American Phytopathological Society Involvement
American Phytopathological Society, Director, Office of Education
- Office of Public Relations and Outreach, ex oficio
- Committee for Diversity and Equality, member
- Teaching Committee, member
Annual meeting posters
Lewandowski, M.; Dorrance, A.E.; Canas, L.A.; Welty, C. et al. Keys to Expanding Online Education Beyond the Campus: Ohio State's Master in Plant Health Management. Poster. International Congress of Plant Pathology. July 29-Aug. 3, 2018, Boston, MA.
MM Lewandowski, AE Dorrance, LA Canas, C Welty, F Peduto Hand, DJ. Shetlar, PA Paul, AJ Londo, SD Williams and WS Klooster. Engaging non-traditional and online students in Ohio State’s Master in Plant Health Management: a SWOT analysis. Abstract. American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting. August 5-9, 2017, San Antonio, Texas.
MM Lewandowski, AE Dorrance, LA Canas, B Kleinke, E Roche, J Schoenhals, SD Williams, F Peduto Hand, J Jasinski, M Gardiner, PA Paul and AJ Londo. Master in Plant Health Management: Training and education to meet 21st Century Trends and challenges in Extension and industry. Abstract. American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting. Vol. 106. Minneapolis: (Aug 2016). Poster presentation, July 30 – August 3, 2016. Tampa, Florida.
Lewandowski, MM, Williams, SD, Mitchell, TK, Dorrance, AE, Niblack, TN, Alvis Tate, DN, Capouya, RD, Mclone, KS, Mowery, BK, Weaver, BD. Poster, Student recruitment in plant pathology: filling the gaps to connect to prospective students. American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting. Aug. 1, 2014. Minneapolis, MN.