As a member of the Cereal Disease Epidemiology Lab, my research is mainly focused on Fusarium head blight of wheat. Specifically, I am looking at how different rainfall patterns effect disease development, deoxynivalenol (DON) accumulation and fungicide efficacy. This research will serve to help growers make more informed management decisions.
- MS Plant Pathology, The Ohio State University, 2013
- BA Biology, minor Health Care and Society, Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania
- Honors thesis: Relative disease susceptibility of cultivated varieties of potato to different isolates of Phytophthora infestans.
West Long Branch, New Jersey
- Teaching assistant for Diseases of Field Crops (PLNTPTH 614), Spring 2012
- Plant Pathology Graduate Students Association
Social Activities Coordinator, 2011-2012
Plant Sale Committee, 2012
- Scarlet and Gray Ag Day, volunteer, 2012
- Student recruitment host
- American Phytopathological Society, member 2012 - present
Influence of variable moisture patterns on the association between Fusarium head blight and deoxynivalenol contamination in wheat. Poster, 2012 American Phytopathological Society Meeting. Aug 4-8, 2012, Providence, Rhode Island .
Influence of rainfall patterns on the development and management of Fusarium head blight and deoxynivalenol in wheat. Oral presentationi/research proposal, Plant Pathology Spring Symposium, June 18, 2012, Wooster.
Influence of Variable Misting Patterns on Fusarium Head Blight and DON in Soft Red Winter Wheat. Poster, 2011 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum, December 4-6, 2011, St. Louis, Missouri.
Relative susceptibility of cultivated varieties of potato when infected with different isolates of Phytophthora infestans. Poster, 2011 Oomycete Molecular Genetics Meeting, March 13th-15th 2011, Asilomar, Calif.
Andersen, K. and Ospina-Giraldo, M.D. 2011. Assessment of the effect of temperature on the late blight disease cycle using a detached leaf assay. Journal of the Pennsylvania Academy of Science. 85:165-173.
Andersen, K. and Ospina-Giraldo, M.D. 2011. Relative disease susceptibility of cultivated varieties of potato to different isolates of Phytophthora infestans. Journal of the Pennsylvania Academy of Science. 85:140-146.