Wheat streak mosaic virus differentially affects soft red winter wheat cultivars. B. HODGE, L. Stewart, P. Paul. Poster, American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting, July 30-Aug. 3, 2016, Tampa, Florida.
Research Assistant, UC Cooperative Extension-Humboldt (May 2012-August 2014)
- Tracked and monitored the spread of Phytophthora ramorum in Humboldt County. Collected samples from known or suspected areas of infection, plated samples, examined growth results to confirm pathogen presence, and mapped the infection using ArcGIS. Helped advise property owners on P. ramorum management strategies.
- Collected data for the various ecological studies that the UCCE was conducting using modern forestry techniques, including studies that examined the effect of burn treatments on the spread of Phytophthora ramorum, the effectiveness of fungicide pre-infection treatment on Notholithocarpus densiflorus, and Douglas Fir encroachment into oak woodlands.
Student Assistant, Humboldt State University-Siering Lab (July 2013-June 2014)
- Isolated and cultivated acidothermophiles involved in each part of the nitrogen cycle in Boiling Springs Lake at Lassen National Park, with the intent of identifying which organism(s) were responsible for each reaction of the nitrogen cycle in the lake. This involved inventing media and methods that would isolate these extremophiles.
- Conducted 16S PCR and developed clone libraries of the organisms that were isolated. Early results showed Archaea species responsible for nitrite and ammonia oxidation in the lake, and possibly a new denitrifying Alicyclobacillus species.
Head Coach, Humboldt State University Men’s Crew (August 2013-June 2015)
Awards and Achievements
- Robert W. Fulton Student Travel Award, American Phytopathological Society (2016)
- University Fellowship - The Ohio State University (2015-2016)
- Smullin Scholarship Recipient - Humboldt State University (2011 & 2010)
- Betty Rice Scholarship Recipient - Humboldt Area Foundation (2010)
- All Conference Student Athlete – Northern Collegiate Rowing Conference (2013 & 2011)
- Eagle Scout - Boy Scouts of America (2010)
- American Phytopathological Society
- American Association for the Advacement of Science
- Plant Pathology Graduate Students Association