The long term efforts in the soybean pathology lab are aimed at understanding the components of partial resistance at both the phenotypic and physiological level with the potential of linking this response to genetic markers as well as the genetic and cultural drivers that are affecting change in the pathogen populations.
- Development of disease resistance in soybeans to Phytophthora sojae, Pythium spp. and Fusarium graminearum
- Characterization of the soilborne plant pathogen populations throughout Ohio's diverse agronomic crop production systems
- Population assessment of P. sojae
- Mapping of both single Rps genes and quantitative trait loci associated with resistance to P. sojae
- Evaluation of fungicide seed treatments for P. sojae, Pythium spp., Fusarium graminearum and Rhizoctonia on soybean
- Detection and identification of Phakopsora pachyrhizi (soybean rust)
- Fungicide efficacy and timing studies for Cercospora sojina and Septoria glycines and development of integrated disease management strategies for management of all soybean diseases
- The Soybean Pathology Lab focuses on the identification, biology, epidemiology and management of both soilborne and foliar diseases of soybeans.
Diseases of Field Crops (PLNTPTH 5140). Key diseases that impact crop plants, emphasis on identification, management strategies and field evaluations of management strategy. Video-linked to Wooster. Spring semester.
Extension responsibilities include development and implementation of disease management programs for field crops in Ohio with emphasis on soybeans, wheat and corn. Educational activities involve state-wide extension programming for production agriculture, intensive soybean disease short courses, development of extension literature, and extensive participation in county and state-wide educational sessions.
- 2009 Excellence in Extension Award, American Phytopathological Society
Multistate Research Award: Response to Emerging Soybean Rust Threat
Anne Dorrance and Soybean Rust Team (2012)
- View Plant Management Network presentation > Management of Phytophthora sojae
- 2010 Soybean Cyst Management Guide, 5th edition > OSU Extension News
View > Longer List of Publications
- Sikora, E. J., Allen, T. W., Wise, K. A., Baniecki, J., Bergstrom, G., Bradley, C., Bond, J., Brown-Rytlewski, D., Chilvers, M., Damicone, J., DeWolf, E., Dorrance, A., Dufault, N., Esker, P., Faske, T., Giesler, L., Goldberg, N., Golod, J., Gómez, I.R.G.m Grau, C., Grybauskus, A., Franc, G., Hammerschmidt, R., Hartman, G., Henn, A., Hershman, D., Hollier, C., Isakeit, T., Isard, S., Jacobson, B., Jardine, D., Kemerait, B., Koenning, S., Langham, M., Malvick, D., Markell, S., Marois, J.J., Monfort, S., Mueller, D., Mueller, J., Mulrooney, B., Newman, M., Osborne, L., Padgett, G.B., Ruden, B.E., Rupe, J., Schneider, R., Schwartz, H. Shaner, G., Singh, S., Stromberg, E., Sweets, L., Tenuta, A., Vaiciunas, S., Yang, X.B., Young-Kelly, H., and Zidek, J. 2014. A coordinated effort to manage soybean rust in North America: A success story in soybean disease monitoring. Plant Disease 98: 864-875
- Lin, J, Guo, J, Finer, J, Dorrance, A, Redinbaugh, M, and Qu, F. 2014. The bean pod mottle virus RNA2-encoded 58K protein is required in cis for RNA2 accumulation. Journal of Virology (In Press).
- Costamilan, L.M., Clebsch, C.C., Soares, R.M., Seixas, C.D.S., Godoy, C.V., and Dorrance, A.E. 2013. Diversity of Phytophthora sojae pathotypes from Brazil. European J. of Plant Pathol. European J of Plant Pathology 135: 845-853
- Lee, S; Mian, MA; McHale, LK; Sneller, CH; and Dorrance, Anne,E. 2013. Identification of Quantitative Trait Loci Conditioning Partial Resistance to Phytophthora sojae in Soybean PI 407861A. Crio Science 3: 1022-1031.
- Lee, S; Mian, MAR; McHale, LK; Wang, HH; Wijeratne, AJ; Sneller, CH; Dorrance, AE. 2013. Novel quantitative trait loci for partial resistance to Phytophthora sojae in soybean PI 398841. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 126:1121-1132
- Han, Janping; Domier, Leslie L.; Dorrance, Anne and Qu, Feng. 2013. First report of Soybean vein necrosis-associated virus in Ohio soybean fields. Plant Disease 97: 693
- Lin, Junyan; Ali, Ahmed Khamis; Chen, Ping; Ghabrial, Said; Finer, John; Dorrance, Anne; Redinbaugh, Margaret and Qu, Feng. 2013. A stem-loop structure in the 5’ untranslated region of Bean pod mottle virus RNA2 is specifically required for RNA2 accumulation. Journal of General Virology 94: 1415-1420
- McHale, LK; Feller, MK; McIntyre, SA; Berry, SA; St Martin, SK; Dorrance, AE. 2013. Registration of 'Summit,' a High-Yielding Soybean with Race-Specific Resistance to Phytophthora sojae. Journal of Plant Registrations 7:36-41
- Ellis, ML; McHale, LK; Paul, PA; St. Martin, SK; and Dorrance, AE. 2013. Soybean germplasm resistant to Pythium irregulare and molecular mapping of resistance quantitative trait loci derived from the soybean accession PI 424354. Crop Sci. 53: 1008-1021.
- Ellis Margaret L., Broders, Kirk D., Paul Pierce A. and Dorrance Anne E. 2012. Two new species of Pythium, P. schmitthenneri and P. selbyi pathogens of corn and soybean in Ohio. Mycologia 104(2): 477-487
- Han, Junping; Domier, Leslie; Dorrance, Anne; Qu, Feng. 2012. Complete genome sequence of a novel pararetrovirus isolated from soybean. Journal of Virology 86: 9555
- Nguyen, V.T., Vuong, T.D., VanToai, T., Lee, J.D., Wu., X., Mian, R., Dorrance, A.E., Shannon, J.G., and Nguyen, H.T. 2012 Mapping of quantitative trait loci associated with resistance to Phytophthora sojae and flooding tolerance in soybean. Crop Sci 52: 2481-2493.
- Wang H, Wijeratne A, Wijeratne S, Lee S, Taylor CG, St Martin SK, McHale L and Dorrance AE. 2012. Dissection of two soybean QTL conferring partial resistance to Phytophthora sojae through sequence and gene expression analysis. BMC Genomics 13:428 doi:10.1186/1471-2164-13-428 > open access
- Wang, Hehe; St Martin, Steven K.; Dorrance, Anne E.. 2012. Comparison of phenotypic methods and yield contributions of quantitative trait loci for partial resistance to Phytophthora sojae in soybean. Crop Science 52 (2): 609-622
- Ellis, M.L., Broders, K.D., Paul, P.A., and Dorrance, A.E. 2011. Infection of soybean seed by Fusarium graminearum and effect of seed treatments on disease under controlled conditions. Plant Disease 95: 401-407.
- Ortega, M. and Dorrance, A.E. 2011. Microsporogenesis of Rps8/rps8 heterozygous soybean lines. Euphytica 81:77-88.
- Stewart, S., Wickramasinghe, D., Dorrance, A.E., and Robertson, A.E. 2011. Comparison of three microsatellite analysis methods for detecting genetic diversity in Phytophthora sojae (Stramenopila: Oomycete) Biotechnol. Lett. (DOI) 10.1007/s10529-011-0682-9.
- Zhang, X., Sato, S., Ye, X., Dorrance, A.E., Morris, T.J., Clemente, T. E. and Qu, F. 2011. Robust RNAi-based resistance to mixed infection of three viruses in soybean plants expressing separate short hairpins from a single transgene. Phytopathology. (Accepted)
- Bradley, C.A., Allen, T.W., Anne E. Dorrance, Dunphy, E. J., Giesler, L. J., Hershman, D. E.,Hollier, C. A., Horn, V., and Wrather, J. A. 2010. Evaluation of the soybean rust pest information platform for extension and education (PIPE) public website's impact on certified crop advisers. Plant Health Progress. doi:10.1094/PHP-2010-0701-01-RS.
- Tucker, D.M., Saghai Maroof, M.A., Mideros, S., Skoneczka, J.A., Nabati, D.A., Buss, G.R., Hoeschele, I., Tyler, B.M., St. Martin, S.K., and Anne E. Dorrance. 2010. Mapping quantitative trait loci for partial resistance to Phytophthora sojae in a soybean interspecific cross. Crop Science 50:628-635.
- Wang H., L. Waller, S. Tripathy, S.K. St. Martin, L. Zhou, K. Krampis, D.M. Tucker, Y. Mao, I. Hoeschele, Saghai M.A. Maroof, B.M. Tyler, and Anne E. Dorrance. 2010. Analysis of genes underlying soybean quantitative trait loci conferring partial resistance to Phytophthora sojae. The Plant Genome 3:23-40.
- Cruz, C., Mills,D., Paul, P.A. and Anne E. Dorrance. 2010. Impact of brown spot caused by Septoria glycines on soybean in Ohio. Plant Disease 94: 820-826.
- Dorrance, A.E., Cruz, C., Mills, D., Bender, R., Koenig, M., LaBarge, G., Leeds, R., Mangione, D., McCluer, G., Ruhl, S., Siegrist, H., Sundermeier, A., Sonnenberg, D., Yost, J., Watters, H., Wilson, G., and Hammond, R. 2010. Effects of foliar fungicide and insecticide applications on soybean in Ohio. Plant Health Progress. doi:10.1094/PHP-2010-0122-01-RS
- Zelaya-Molina, L.X., Ellis, M.L., Berry, S.A., and Dorrance, A.E. 2010. First report of Phytophthora sansomeana causing wilting and stunting of corn in Ohio. Plant Dis. Vol. 94: 125.
- Redinbaugh, M. G., Molineros, J. E., Vacha, J., Berry, S. A., Hammond, R. B., Madden, L. V., and Dorrance, A. E. 2010. Bean pod mottle virus spread in insect feeding resistant soybeans. Plant Disease. Vol. 94: 265-270.
- 2009 - present Professor, The Ohio State University, Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, Plant Pathology. Columbus, OH, United States
- 2003 - 2009 Associate Professor, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC), Plant Pathology. Wooster, Ohio, United States
- 1997 - 2003 Assistant Professor, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC), Plant Pathology. Wooster, Ohio, United States
- 1996 - 1997 Post Doctoral Research Associate, Washington State University, Research and Extension Unit. Mount Vernon, WA, United States
- 1991 - 1995 Graduate Research Assistant, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Plant Pathology, Physiology and Weed Science. Blacksburg, VA, United States
- 1990 - 1991 Adjunct Instructor, Concord College, Biology. Athens, WV, United States
- 1985 - 1989 Plant Pathologist, Vermont Department of Agriculture. Montpelier, VT
American Phytopathological Society (APS)
APS North Central Division - President (2011-2012)
APS North Central Division Distinguished Service Award (2012)
APS Councilor at Large (2009-2012)
APS Excellence in Extension Award (2009)